- What is a Heat Pump? It is a whole house air conditioner that can also run backwards to heat the house.
- What makes it a Geothermal Heat pump? A geothermal or ground sourced heat pump moves the heat from the earth to your home and can currently be up to 500% efficient. An air sourced heat pump uses the atmosphere for its heat source but is less efficient in colder climates.
- How does a heat pump work? The refrigeration cycle used in heat pumps removes heat from a cold item making it colder and adds heat to a warm item making it warmer. An example is the warm air blowing on your feet in front of the refrigerator in your home. The cool milk inside is getting cooler while your warm feet are getting warmer.
- Why is it so much less expensive to heat with Geothermal than by burning something like propane, natural gas or fuel oil? Burning something can never produce more heat than the item contains so a theoretical maximum efficiency for burning is 100%. Since the heat pump is only moving heat the theoretical maximum efficiency is 1400%. It costs less because the efficiency is so much higher.
- Can I also get free hot water from a Geothermal Heat Pump? Yes, whenever the unit is running for either heating or air conditioning.